Practitioner Writing Guide
STAFF TRAINING – EQUIPMENT RENTAL – FIELD INSTRUCTIONAL
TECHNIQUES – DIVERSITY TRAINING – VEHICLE POLICIES
MENTORING PROGRAMS – RISK MANAGEMENT
PROGRAM PROMOTION – ADMINISTRATIVE PRACTICES
Outdoor recreation industry practitioners have expertise to share, but very limited time to write. This form is designed to provide an avenue for practitioners to share their expertise while being sensitive to demands on time.
What follows are questions to help establish a manuscript agenda and plan. Each question should be approached broadly initially and refined later. Assistance in writing the manuscript is simply a click away.
- What is the number one thing you are most proud of in your program?
- Did you create the idea yourself? If not, how did you learn about it?
- How long has your program been using the idea/concept?
- Did the idea go through revisions? If so, briefly describe the development process.
- Would the idea be useful to programs similar to yours? What recommendations would you share before someone else used it?
- In your opinion, who would benefit the most from the idea? Why?
- What resources are required to implement the idea?
- Is there staff expertise required to implement the idea? Please describe.
- How exactly has the idea/concept helped your program? Have you tracked anything or collected information relative to the idea in your program?
- Do you know of other programs also utilizing the idea? If so, who? Have you contacted them to see if they would be interested in contributing to a manuscript?
- If you were to share credit with another person for the idea, who would it be?
Please take some time and write the first two to three paragraphs of the manuscript. Be sure to introduce the topic, its importance and how the manuscript is going to assist others in implementing the idea/concept.
Assistance in refining the information provided above is available. Please note: significant writing assistance by another person will warrant shared authorship of a manuscript.
For co-authoring assistance visit the JOREL Manuscript Assistance list.