After World War II, Western Kentucky State College (now Western Kentucky University) faced a severe housing shortage for returning veterans. In 1946, President Paul Garrett created Veterans' Village from a variety of government-surplus quonset huts, trailers and prefabricated housing. Veterans' Village provided on-campus housing for married and other non-traditional students until 1976.
Niedermeier, Lynn E., "Veterans' Village" (2007). WKU History. Paper 1.