The WKU swimming pool designed by Brinton B. Davis opened on May 24, 1932.
Date Built - 1931
Architects - Brinton Davis
Contractor - J.U. Schickli Construction Company
History: The pool was adjacent to the Health & Physical Education Building now known as Helm Library on the site of the current Cravens Graduate Center & Library. "It was located in a lovely spot, although the overhanging trees created a problem in keeping the pool clean. Used for both classes and recreation, the pool was reserved during the 5:30-6:30 hour for the Bowling Green public. Admission was fifteen cents with discounts ranging up to twenty swims for two dollars when payment was made in advance. 'A warm soap bath,' 'regulation cotton suits,' and rubber caps were required. 'Spitting, blowing the nose, spouting water are forbidden.'" [Harrison, p. 102]
The pool was heated and had underwater lighting. It was 60' x 120' in size and could hold 330,000 gallons. The depth ranged from 3 to 7 feet. The pool was removed in preparation for the construction of Cravens Graduate Center & Library in 1970.
Western Kentucky University