On September 22, 1949, Shirley Cupp, Irma Beisel, Frances Stuckey and Mr. Hilary Bufton Jr. met in a coffee shop in downtown Kansas City to incorporate the American Business Women’s Association (ABWA). Jean Fulkerson helped start The Kentucky Colonels Chapter on 3 June 1964 in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Twenty-six women met at Western Hills Restaurant and elected Linda Sidebottom as the first president. Besides providing professional development opportunities for local businesswomen, the Chapter gave scholarships to women furthering their education, and held social and recognition events throughout the year. Their newsletter, “The Colonelette,” was started in June 1964. Also included here are issues of “The Charter” and “ABWA,” which were newsletters for The Bowling Green Charter Chapter of ABWA.
Cultural History | Social History | United States History | Women's History
Department of Library Special Collections, "ABWA Banquet Program (June 1998)" (1998). The Colonelette. Paper 215.
Cultural History Commons, Social History Commons, United States History Commons, Women's History Commons