In September 1861 Confederate troops under the command of Generals Simon Bolivar Buckner and Albert Sidney Johnston occupied Bowling Green. During the next five months the Confederate army constructed a series of fortifications on knobs around the town. In late November 1861, Bowling Green became the Confederate capital of Kentucky.
In the New Year, the winds of war began to change and the Confederate troops left Bowling Green in February 1862. Before departing, they burned the L&N depot and destroyed bridges over the Barren River. Their stay was short but for many it was deadly. Of the 20,000 Confederate troops stationed in Bowling Green disease claimed the lives of more than ten percent.
Pistol reported carried by General William Joseph Hardee (CSA), nd.
Warren County, War