image preview

Creation Date



Architectural drawing by Arrasmith & Wilk showing new entrance created during renovation from gymnasium to library building.

The first library "on the hill" was housed in the old dining room of Potter Hall through 1923 when it was moved into the Cedar House aka Faculty House. In 1927 the library moved into the newly constructed Gordon Wilson Hall where it remained until 1965 when the gymnasium was renovated and became Margie Helm Library. To cope with the library's continued growth, the Cravens Graduate Center & Library was built in 1970.

Head Librarians / Deans:

  • Parthenia Weller 1906-1907
  • Florence Ragland 1908-1922
  • Margie Helm 1923-1965
  • Sara Tyler 1965-1972
  • Earl Wassom 1972-1985
  • Michael Binder 1985-2011
  • Connie Foster 2011-2017
  • Susann deVries 2017-


Western Kentucky University, Margie Helm Library (WKU), Health & Physical Education Building (WKU)


Image Location