Family Temperance Pledge page from Harrington Family Bible
Why sign the pledge because:
- Moderate drinking tends to drunkenness, while total abstinence tends directly from it.
- Persons miscalculate their ability to drink in moderation and become slaves to the drinking habit before they are aware of it.
- While no one means to become a drunkard, there is said to be over six hundred thousand confirmed drunkards in our country to-day.
- Intoxicating drinks can do no good as a beverage, and there are always safer and surer remedies to use in case of sickness.
- Both science and experience prove that even moderate drinking is injurious to the health.
- We are in no wise better off for the “liberty” to swallow poison, or to yield ourselves as slaves to the habit of drinking.
- The one who will not abstain from a practice which he knows to be harmful to himself and others has no assurance that he will be able to abstain from drinking to excess.
- The idea of moderation is full of deceit, and our estimate of the power of our own will is usually a mistaken one.
- The drinking habit is the cause of the larger portion of the misery, poverty and crime in our land at the present day.
- The dictates of humanity require us to abstain from that which brings evil upon others.
- Eternal interests are often forfeited through drink, for the Bible declares that no drunkard shall enter heaven.
- The drinking habit brings in its train a host of kindred evils.
- The Bible pronounces no blessing upon drinking, but many upon total abstinence.
- It is easier to keep a pledge publicly, solemnly given than a simple resolution.
- The pledge protects us from the solicitations of friends and removes us from the temptations of the saloon.
- We like to join with those who are striving to promote the welfare of the community.
- We cannot warn others from intemperance unless we are ourselves are total abstainers.
- Intemperance obstructs civilization, education, religion and every useful reform.
Believing it to be better for all, and the better example we, the undersigned solemnly promise, by the help of God, to abstain from the use of all intoxicating drinks as a beverage.