- Adult Education courses first offered
- Western Players perform Five Days
- 2 1/2 Million Dollar Combined Gymnasium, Classroom Building Will Seat 10,000 - announcement of Diddle Arena construction
February - Kelly Thompson named Kentuckian of the Year
- Ted Urban wins Ogden Oratorical Contest
- Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra plays at the Talisman Ball
- Carolyn Turner is Mountain Laurel candidate
- Lotta Day, home economics professor dies
April - Pershing Rifles take 1st place in the Third Regimental Area contest
- Rock House team wins intramural basketball
- Tennis team wins Ohio Valley Conference
- WKU considered for educational television
- William Bivin gives commencement speech
- Phi Delta Kappa educational fraternity organized
- Faculty Research Committee formed
- WKU creates counseling program for war orphans and disabled veterans
- College Heights Herald becomes a weekly publication
- Fraternity / Sorority system approved
- Virginia Garrett, wife of former president Paul Garrett dies
September -Harold Helm donates $25,000 to create the Rodes-Helm Lecture Series
- Owen Lawson named director of Building & Grounds
- Dero Downing named first dean of Admissions
"Top Topper Commandments," College Heights Herald, March 17, 1961
I'm sure that we're all familiar with the "Ten Commandments." Well, Western has inaugurated ten of its own - so adhere to such, or thou shalt be in danger of blackballing and probation.
- Honor thy dorm mother and father so as to insure thyself against campusing.
- Thou shalt not take the name of Dean Cravens in vain.
- Thous shalt not covet thy neighbor's copy of Brave New World.
- Thou shalt not cut classes more than thy allotted 2 times.
- Thou shalt not commit tomfoolery.
- Thou shalt not spend more than 3/4 of thy time at the Bar of Snacks.
- Thou shalt not openly, display affections on campus.
- Thou shalt not run over Al trying to get a parking place.
- Thou shalt not be caught suitcasing every weekend.
- THOU SHALT NOT SWEAT IT!
Western Kentucky University