Dero Downing on the steps of Wetherby Administration Building addressing the students.
Strike Western! was WKU's student response to the shooting at Kent State University May 4, 1970. Here is a timeline of events:
Tuesday, May 5 - Rally notices for Wednesday appeared
Wednesday, May 6
- Meeting on Plaza, 11:00 to 1:00
- Strike Western shirts appeared
- Delegation visited President Dero Downing and Paul Cook. Group included: Braxton Crenshaw, Don Offutt, Billie Warford, ? Crumbacker a black woman from Milwaukee.
- Vigil in stadium 6:30 p.m.
- Wendell Ford addressed students 7:30 p.m.
- Newman Center 8:45 p.m.
Thursday, May 7
- Bullhorns issued to student group
- Meeting on Plaza 10:30 to 1:00
- Marched around campus, entered 4th floor of Grise Hall, also marched partially around Diddle Arena. Dan Sellers one of the main student leaders.
- Dero Downing spoke to group from steps of the Wetherby Administration Building.
- University issued statement
Friday, May 8
- Met on lawn by Wetherby Administration Building. Students given public address system.
- March around campus scheduled
- Plans presented to Dean Charles Keown
- 12:00 Dero Downing & Charles Keown met with group presenting resolutions: Braxton Crenshaw, Fred Santorelli, ? Walsh, Gerald Donaldson, Dan Sellers, ? Porter, Larry Zeilke, ? Butler, John Lyne & Douglas Alexander.
- Marched around campus stopping at Grise Hall, Diddle Arena and returned to lawn at Wetherby Administration building.
- Bill Nelson requested that Garrett Student Center remain open after hours, request denied.
- Students camped on lawn all night.
- Counterdemonstration, Speak-In group met.
Saturday, May 9
- 9:00 WKU set up public address system. Speakers included two University of Kentucky people, a student and a professor.
- Broke up in late afternoon.
Sunday, May 10 - 4:00 Braxton Crenshaw held meeting in Garrett Student Center.
Monday, May 11
- 8:30 Dero Downing, Raymond Cravens, Charles Keown & Paul Cook met with group to give response to demands. Student group included Dan Sellers, Fred Santorelli, ? Walsh, Braxton Crenshaw, Gerald Donaldson, John Lyne, Larry Zeilke, ? Tichnor, ? Butler, ? Porter. Dan Sellers made remarks: "better be in a hurry," "we have people," "Molotov cocktails," "power politics."
- Response to demands.
- 6:00 Dero Downing met with members of staff and Board of Regents at President's Home.
Tuesday, May 12
- 9:00 Stadium - moved to Plaza - Carl Braden of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference spoke
- 1:30 restraining order & statement released
- 7:30 Paul Cook & Charles Keown met with John Lyne, ? Porter & Larry Zeilke
Wednesday, May 13
- Restraining order mailed
- Daniel Taylor, Louisville civil liberties lawyer spoke to rally of 300 students
Thursday, May 14
- Harlin & Parker retained
- Volunteers elected new leaders: Jim Pickett, Randy Bowling, BIll Towery, Billie Warford, Edmund Sikorski
Friday, May 15
- Evacuated Wetherby Administration Building twice
- Small group on plaza
- Restraining order modified
Saturday, May 16 - Volunteers brought letter to Dero Downing.
See more Strike Western photos.
Western Kentucky University, Demonstrations, Protest movements, Kent State Shootings, Kent, Ohio