Beech Bend is an integral piece in the machine that is Bowling Green. This family-oriented park has been providing entertainment since 1898, originally under ownership and supervision of William Helm Brashear from 1880-1942 as a picnic area. As time grew on, the ownership and park did as well. Charles Garvin became the owner from 1942-1980 and added both rides and recreational activities, such as a pony ride, roller skating rink, dance hall, and swimming pool, to name a few. Racing also became a popular activity during the 1950’s and its popularity lives on today. The park boomed during the 1960’s with the addition of a zoo, the abundance of carnival rides, and the growth of the campground. However, the park’s revenue and popularity began to decline, as well as the health of the owner of 38 years. After Garvin’s death in 1980, the park turned over ownership to a group that included musician Ronnie Milsap, which purchased and owned the park from 1980-1982. After these unsuccessful years, ownership was returned back to the Garvin family. In 1984, Dallas and Alfreda Jones purchased the racetracks and began hosting drag-race events. As the popularity and revenue increased over the next three years the couple purchased the rest of the park, leading to what is current day Beech Bend.
Printing is not supported at the primary Gallery Thumbnail page. Please first navigate to a specific Image before printing.