Download Chapter (821 KB)
Standing Strong is the heroic story of ordinary citizens who believed in and worked for extraordinary results. The Bowling Green Public Library (now Warren County Public Library) began as a Works Progress Administration project in 1938 through the effort of local women who believed the city’s children and adults needed free library service. When these funds were no longer available, the library subsisted for several years on a $50 per month appropriation form the city. To create tax-based funding for the cash strapped organization, the City Commission created the Bowling Green Public Library by municipal order on October 2, 1953. The Library’s Board of Trustees led a movement in 1954 to build a permanent facility for the library, resulting in a new home at 1225 State Street which opening in November 1956. Since that time the library has expanded its services and its facilities to meet the demands of an information hungry citizenry.
Bowling Green Public Library
Bowling Green, Kentucky
History | Library and Information Science
Jonathan Jeffrey, Standing Strong: A History of the Bowling Green Public Library. Bowling Green, Ky.: Friends of the Library, Warren County, 2003.