Helm Library was originally constructed as the Health & Physical Education Building. Designed by Brinton Davis, it contained a gymnasium with a 5,000 person capacity as well as classrooms, offices and a shooting range for the Physical Education and ROTC / Military Science departments. It has occasionally be confused with the Red Barn which was the gymnasium it replaced in 1931.

Plans were made to convert the building for a library while Diddle Arena was under construction. In 1963, renovations began which created a 70,000 square foot library that could accommodate over a 1/2 million books on three floors with a seating capacity for 1,000 students. The building also provided space for Library Science and Industrial Arts departments. It was dedicated on October 14, 1967 and named for librarian Margie Helm.

Jump Circle

Jump Circle

Reserve Officer Training Corps

Reserve Officer Training Corps

Margie Helm Library Renovation

Margie Helm Library Renovation

Sister James Ellen Letter to Kelly Thompson

Sister James Ellen Letter to Kelly Thompson

Margie Helm Letter to Dero Downing Page 2

Margie Helm Letter to Dero Downing Page 2

Margie Helm Letter to Dero Downing Page 1

Margie Helm Letter to Dero Downing Page 1

Margie Helm Letter to Kelly Thompson Page 2

Margie Helm Letter to Kelly Thompson Page 2

Margie Helm Letter to Kelly Thompson Page 1

Margie Helm Letter to Kelly Thompson Page 1

A Day of Commemoration & Dedication Lunch Program

A Day of Commemoration & Dedication Lunch Program

A Day of Commemoration & Dedication Lunch Program 2

A Day of Commemoration & Dedication Lunch Program 2

W Club Memo

W Club Memo

Western Kentucky State College Library

Western Kentucky State College Library

Unidentified Event

Unidentified Event

Statement Made at Meeting of the New Library Steering Committee

Statement Made at Meeting of the New Library Steering Committee

Material on the Margie Helm Library

Material on the Margie Helm Library