Other Names - Cravens Graduate Center, 1969
Raymond Cravens Library, 2008
Date Built - 1970
Cost of Construction - $2.4 million
Gross Square Feet - 104,723 (1973)
Architects - Frank Cain
Namesake - Raymond Cravens:
Born in St. Bernard, Ohio, Raymond L. Cravens obtained his A.B. in 1952 and his M.A. in 1955 from Western. During his college career he worked as business manager for the College Heights Herald where he was also a staff cartoonist. He earned his Ph.D. from University of Kentucky in 1958. Upon graduation he began teaching political science in WKU's History Department and continued up the ladder into administration being named Vice President for Academic Affairs in 1959. He served as Dean of Public Service & International Programs from 1977 to 1980 when he went back to teaching full time. The 1962 Talisman was dedicated to him and the Kentucky Junior Chamber of Commerce named him one of its "Outstanding Young Men in Kentucky" for 1963. He retired from WKU in 1991. Cravens received a special recognition of 50 years of service to WKU in 2007. The Board of Regents approved the naming of the building on July 8, 1969.
"The 9 story building will house graduate library facilities, office of the dean of graduate college, areas for card catalogs and circulation counters, lobby areas and additional auxiliary and storage space." ["Permit Sought For WKU Center," Park City Daily News, August 27, 1969] The building was built of reinforced concrete and brick. It is connected at the fourth floor with the Margie Helm Library and was built on the site of the college swimming pool.
On July 7, 1971 the Board of Regents voted to change the name to Raymond Cravens Graduate Center and Library as it "would better convey the function and purpose of the building."
For information on University Libraries see also:
Gordon Wilson Hall
Additions - 2004 - elevators replaced
Park City Daily News:
1969 August 27
2003 July 7
2004 November 4
2005 July 26
$2.4 Million Low Bid for Western Graduate Center, June 13, 1969
Permit Sought for WKU Center, Aug. 10, 1969
Western Graduate Center, photo, May 16, 1969