WKU Board of Regents approved the construction of a Model Rural School at their December 30, 1919 meeting.
Other names of building - Modern Rural School, Rural Demonstration School
Date Built - 1923
Date Razed - 1957
The building opened on July 4, 1923 and was in charge of Ms. Ethel Clark who was a "rural expert". It was used for demonstration work and was located on campus behind the music building. When the school first opened, twelve students did their practice teaching there and many more took observations of approximately 40 children. The purpose was to train teachers for service in a one-room school house. The building was razed in 1957 to make way for a parking lot. "Because the one-room schools are being abandoned in favor of consolidated programs, the Rural School was discontinued last year." [Park City Daily News, March 24, 1957]
This photograph was taken September 17, 1927.
Western Kentucky University